Vettabase upgrades your database servers for you.
No downtime, no surprises.
The purpose of an upgrade is to ensure the reliability of your technology by staying up to date with the actively maintained versions, and maximise performance and security by taking advantage of the latest optimisations and features.
We cover the following databases:
We also upgrade:
- Operating systems (Linux, *BSD)
- Automation platforms (Ansible, Puppet, Terraform)
- Backup solutions (Xtrabackup, mydumper, Barman, Bacula…)
- monitoring solutions (PMM, Prometheus, Grafana, Zabbix…)
While upgrading, we recommend to use this opportunity to setup deployment and configuration automation, and we can help you do that.
A proper upgrade consists of several steps. The exact steps depend on the technology, but the general idea is the following:
- Decide a target version.
- Test the upgrade:
- Correctness and speed of the queries.
- Speed and stability of the servers.
- Performance tuning on the new version.
- Plan production upgrade.
- Monitor for some time, while being ready to roll back.
To upgrade servers without causing a service disruption, a failover mechanism needs to be in place. It can be implemented on the application side, as a proxy layer, or as DNS service discovery. Whichever solution is selected, it is highly recommended to implement it before the upgrade, as a separate engagement.
An upgrade may be much simpler than the procedure described here. However, a detailed upgrade procedure minimises the risks of a disaster.
You decided to upgrade. Make sure that the next version of your databases is fully automated with technologies like Ansible or Puppet.
See our Database Automation Service.