How confident are you in your production environment?
- Discover your current problems.
- Prevent future problems before they occur.
MariaDB Health Checks by MariaDB Experts
Don’t rely on MySQL professionals to take care of your MariaDB databases. Many people sell themselves as MariaDB experts because they know MySQL. They will easily make false assumptions based on their experience, or may not be able to give the right advice to take the most out of your servers.
Vettabase are recognised MariaDB experts. Find out more on this.
What you will get
The outcome of the Health Check is a document containing:
- A list of all found current problems;
- A list of potential future problems;
- Precise recommendations on how to fix them.
The document covers all aspects of your databases:
- Hardware or virtual machines
- OS configuration
- MariaDB configuration, replication topology, backups
- Schema design (mainly indexes)
- Most impacting queries
The benefits of a Health Check are:
- Discover current and potential problems.
- Get practical recommendations that can be quickly applied, to immediately improve your database reliability or performance.
- Understand which areas need more complex changes, and plan future work.
- Fix mistakes and bad practices.
- You will gain a better understanding of your database technologies.
All encountered problems are explained in simple terms. Final recommendations can be applied by your team without support, if you wish so.
Technologies covered by this service:
- Including old versions, starting from the first public version (5.5)
- All MariaDB storage engines, including ColumnStore, RocksDB, TokuDB, SPIDER, CONNECT, S3
- ProxySQL, HAProxy, MariaDB MaxScale
- Service discovery: Consul
A Database Health Check normally covers no more than 3 servers from
the same replication chain, or 2 servers and 1 proxy. Service discovery
solutions can also be covered.
How the service works
MariaDB Health Checks are very simple for you. Normally health checks are remote, and they happen in the following way.
First, we will have a remote meeting with some DBAs, devops, or system administrators, to find out how you use your databases and what your concerns are. Then we will require access to your databases and your monitoring systems. We will collect information and metrics, and we will spend one or two days analysing them. We will then deliver a document listing your current and potential problems and detailed recommendations to fix them. Eventually, we will have a final meeting, so you can ask me questions about the document.
During the whole duration of the work, we will do our best to guarantee your data security and your privacy. See Consulting Policy for details.
Investigations on specific complex problems are not part of a Database Health Check. After we discuss your problems, we can offer support to implement solutions, but this is not part of a Database Health Check.
As mentioned before, further assistance is purely optional and not necessary to apply our recommendations.
Cost and timing
The base price for this service is 2,000 GBP, but please keep reading to understand how it can vary.
The work is articulated in two phases:
- Metrics collection. 2 days since the moment the proper technologies have been setup.
- Metrics analysis. 3 working days.
- A wrap-up call, to be scheduled.
These are indicative timings. The final document’s due date will be agreed before the start of the work.
The cost and timing are higher for onsite health checks, and health checks on more than two servers.
Other factors that may increase the cost are the use of uncommon technologies or very old software versions. The reason is that this may require some research, or advise from specialists.
The cost will be agreed before the beginning of the work.
Regular Health Checks
Database workloads change over time, because applications change and the user base increases. Repeating health checks periodically is a good idea to discover problems – or potential problems – that couldn’t be foreseen some months before.
When scheduling multiple Health Checks in one year, a discount can be negotiated.